Remembrance ceremony kicks off June 2019 national Gun Control Victims Awareness Month
May 31, 2019 – BATAVIA, N.Y. – 2AWNY.COM laid a yellow wreath today in front of Genesee County Building One to remember the millions of global deaths that have occurred as a direct result of tyrannical gun control policies. This remembrance ceremony is a precursor to national Gun Control Victims Awareness Month, which spans the entirety of June 2019.
Yellow is the official color of national Gun Control Victims Awareness Month because it symbolizes the mind, intellect, and logic. These are faculties possessed by those who recognize, via empirical data, that gun control is an illogical, emotion-based security deception for grown adults that does nothing to reduce ‘gun violence.’ This assertion is supported by the latest academic findings from Boston University and Harvard researchers, which demonstrate that SAFE Act-style bans on so-called ‘assault weapons’ and standard-size magazines do not lower homicide or suicides rates. Attendees were asked to wear yellow to the remembrance ceremony, and once again on June 7, 2019, which is national Gun Control Victims Awareness Day. Related images will be posted to social media tagged #GunControlKills.
Today’s event honored the more than 169 million victims who died as a result of 20th century government tyranny, the more than one million Uyghur Muslims unlawfully imprisoned as a direct result of China’s gun control policies, and at least 250 unarmed civilians killed between 2014 and today as a direct result of Venezuela’s gun control policies.
“In memory of these gun control victims, today, we forcefully correct the erroneous and politically opportunistic narrative, promulgated by New York State’s far-left progressives, that gun control represents a societal good. It does not. It represents an eventual death sentence for those who find themselves at odds with supporters of ever-expanding government force,” 2AWNY.COM Civil Rights Advocate Steve Felano said. “The unlawful and purely political imprisonment of unarmed Uyghurs in China is a direct result of the communist nation’s 1996 Firearms-Control Law. The government-sponsored murder of unarmed citizens in Venezuela is a direct result of the socialist nation’s Act on the Disarmament and Control of Arms and Ammunition of 2013. The New York State SAFE Act and related laws are ideological twins of these oppressive gun control programs. It’s time for New York State to end its failed experiment with the false promise of gun control.”
“In this country, people are clamoring for the freedom for women to choose when it comes to so-called healthcare,” Constitutional Coalition of New York State Spokesperson Nancie Orticelli said. “But what about a woman’s right to choose how to protect herself in cases of rape and abuse? This could be your last stand to make a difference.”
“Gun control has negative, unintended consequences that outweigh the benefits to society,” Libertarian NY-27 Congressional Candidate Duane Whitmer said. “Such policies fail to address the actual issue, and are nothing but ‘feel good’ measures.”
“Like most political terms, gun control is a lie. What it really is, is government gun monopoly,” Attorney Jim Ostrowski said. “The left wing and the progressives, they don’t hate guns, they don’t fear guns, they love guns. They love them. They love them so much they want to be the only ones that have any. Because their whole philosophy is based on, once you’re disarmed, they force you to do what they what you to do, and you don’t want to do it. And we’ve seen this before. I mean, there’s a whole book on what happens when the communists came in and they took all of your guns. And it’s called The Black Book of Communism.”
At the center of the wreath placed during today’s Gun Control Victims Remembrance Ceremony were images of specific Venezuelan citizens, identified by the Venezuelan Observatory of Social Conflict, who all lost their lives as a direct result of the New York-style gun control now active in their country. These gun control victims include [IMAGES AVAILABLE HERE]:
- Evelio José Rodríguez (12 years old): Killed 7/16/18 during a nighttime protest in the San José de Chirica sector. Four officers of the Bolivar State police have been detained related to this murder.
- Argenis Serrano (33 years old): Killed 2/28/18 by Venezuelan Naval Police with his 11-month-old son in his arms while passing by a protest in Sucre state.
- Ivan Bastidas (28 years old): Killed 6/5/17 after being rundown by a Bolivarian National Police motorcycle in Táchira.
- Yusmary Katherine Guerra Viloria (32 years old): Killed 11/01/18 by looters in Mérida after being deprived of the natural right to armed self-defense by the Venezuelan government.
- Elizabeth Sierra (26 years old): Killed 11/1/18 by looters in Mérida after being deprived of the natural right to armed self-defense by the Venezuelan government.
- Jairo Johan Ortiz Bustamante (19 years old): Killed 6/4/17 during a protest in Miranda state. A Bolivarian National Police officer has been detained related to this murder.
- Daniel Alejandro Queliz Araca (20 years old): Killed 10/4/17 after being shot through the neck during a demonstration in Carabobo state. Two Carabobo State Police officials have been detained related to this murder.
- Gruseny Antonio Canelón Scirpatempo (32 years old): Killed 11/4/17 after being shot during a demonstration in Lara state. 14 arrest warrants for Bolivarian National Guard members have been issued related to this murder.
- Carlos Jose Moreno Barón (17 years old): Killed 4/19/17 after being shot in the head during a demonstration in Caracas. The Sucre municipality chief police officer has been detained related to this murder.
- Paola Ramirez Gómez (23 years old): Killed 4/19/17 in a protest in Táchira state after being deprived of the natural right to armed self-defense by the Venezuelan government.
- Almelina Carrillo Virguez (48 years old): Killed 4/23/17 in Venezuela’s Capital District due to blunt force head trauma after being deprived of the natural right to armed self-defense by the Venezuelan government.
- Juan Pablo Pernalete Llovera (20 years old): Killed 4/26/17 in Miranda state by the impact of a Venezuelan government tear gas bomb to the chest.
- Armando Cañizales (18 years old): Killed 3/5/17 after receiving penetrating neck trauma from a Venezuelan government tear gas bomb during a protest in Miranda state.
- Miguel Joseph Medina Romero (20 years old): Killed 5/5/17 after being shot in the abdomen by Venezuelan police during a protest in Zulia state.
In an era when uninformed progressive mobs mindlessly clamor for endless restrictions on the natural right to keep and bear arms, the lessons of the present and past centuries require a painstaking reexamination.
Government tyranny, almost always bolstered by onerous gun control imperial edicts, generated 169,202,000 human deaths in the 20th century alone. This terrible legacy has carried over into the 21st century. At least one million Uyghur Muslims are being held by their government in modern concentration camps as a direct result of China’s 1996 Firearms-Control Law. At least 250 unarmed civilians have been killed by their government over the last five years as a direct result of Venezuela’s Act on the Disarmament and Control of Arms and Ammunition of 2013.
Despite history’s repeated lessons that gun control violates the natural rights of all persons and inevitably results in millions of government-caused deaths, New York State continues to be a leader when it comes to exacerbating the damage caused by America’s failed gun control experiment. Today, 2AWNY.COM remembers the victims of this failed experiment, and once again calls for an end to this emotion-driven infringement on our Second Amendment civil rights.
To learn more about any of the above, please contact Steve Felano at (518) 852-1863 or [email protected].
– 30 –
2AWNY is a force multiplier for the numerous Second Amendment civil rights advocacy enterprises forming the backbone of Western New York’s vibrant gun culture. We act as a 2A news and information distribution, policy analysis, and organizational driver for the many interest groups seeking to defend and expand Second Amendment civil rights throughout the region. 2AWNY is dedicated to assisting in the organization, promotion, and funding of legal challenges to the unconstitutional New York State gun control regime. We seek to make Western New York the epicenter of New York State’s Second Amendment civil rights renaissance. Learn more at WWW.2AWNY.COM.